Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 0: Homeward Bound

Goodbye Denmark! I am off to the airport with big bags packed and a tumult of emotions in my heart. I want to go home and I want to stay. There have been so many amazing opportunities here and I've learned so much. But, I miss the mountains, the family, the friends, the actual darkness (never gets really dark here at night), and cheap groceries! Here I'll miss the bicycle-obsessed culture, the ultra-clean tap water, good public transport, and the taste of Carlsberg (much better mass-produced beer than Coors, Miller, Bud, etc...).

I've been saying goodbye for the last few days. I gave cake to my coworkers on Tuesday, bought a round for friends at a local microbrewery last night, and generally haven't slept so I could maximize my farewell festivities.

I'm leaving new friends, an amazingly good laboratory, and a flat land of boldly blunt Scandinavians. I can't wait to see my beloved CO again, but I also look forward to my return trip (guaranteed so far by my advisors) in 15ish months.

For those who have followed my sparse blog trail these last 5.5 months, I've left out pages and pages of stories, but maybe I'll get around to telling them someday. To you Dear Reader, I dedicate my final blogpost from København. See some of you soon and all of you eventually!